How a dog can help with depression

How a dog can help with depression

This story was submitted by Mary 
 
Stanley Zeppelin is my 4 year old American Cocker Spaniel. I found him in 2009 while I was in college and i instantly fell in love . I picked him up and said "I would call you Stanley and love you forever". I knew my parents wouldn't give me the money, because getting a dog during your senior year in college doesn't seem like a responsible decision. So behind my parents back I went to the bank and took out some extra grant money I won and the rest is history.



Within the first month I could not get enough of his interesting personality and sense of adventure. I was also unaware that an animal could completely change the way I dealt with my atypical depression. Having dealt with my issues privately since I was a teenager and never discussing them with anyone, I finally found a confidant. Someone I could just express myself to and Stanley would always lick my tears when I cried.

How a dog can help with depression


During my darkest days he can make me smile and when I've almost hurt myself he always seems to know and barks at me to stop. Many people in my life don't understand why he is so special to me because they don't know that has has saved my life. He has seen me at my worst and at my best but still loves me unconditionally. Being a natural overachiever can take it's toll on someone and Stanley has taught me to stop and enjoy life. He is my best friend, my son, my roommate and my therapist- my golden blonde cocker spaniel has saved my life and maybe even my soul.

You can find Stanley on Instagram: @stanleythecocker
Don't forget sharing is caring ...